Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Puzzles are fun.


Puzzles.

Puzzles are great.

Puzzles are rewarding.

Puzzles bring life to a game that would otherwise seem monotonous.

Puzzles make me do TWO HOURS OF CODING FOR ABOUT 30 SECONDS OF GAMEPLAY... haha. At least... reaction based/collision detection puzzles do. It's all worth it however, since it's little touches like that which make one game more memorable and entertaining than another.

In other news, steady progress is being made aside from puzzles. Another boss has worked its way into the game and another small area has been completed as well. I'm starting to get to the point in the game where the player has a far greater range of travel, so I'm beginning to flesh out all the small explorable areas here and there which sometimes hold nice items, sometimes money, and sometimes monsters.

I've always been a fan of games that give you the option to explore with a balanced sense of risk versus reward as I feel games that extremely linear games really only reward a player for going down an extra hallway. There's something to be said about killing a monster far before you should be able to with that one lucky critical hit and raking in the EXP, or going way out of your way to find an awesome weapon. Just makes exploring that much more fun.

Comments/feedback appreciated as usual. One doesn't need to register to comment, by the way!

5 Responses to “Puzzles are fun.”

Anonymous said...

puzzles are cool i get stuck sometimes tho lol

another demo with all these cool updates man come on! lol

Anonymous said...

by the way ur comment thing is fucked up i have to hit tab to get to the posting options

Steve said...

I still haven't decided if I'm going to put out another demo yet. Seems that requests keep coming for one, so if I do another one at all, I'll wait until I've finished up all the currently available optional areas.

I'll take a look into the comment problem. At least you were able to figure out how to post! Since I'm always signed in, I don't have any issues with it, so it might take me awhile to track it down and fix it (if it's even in my power).

Xtrama said...

Cool stuff man. I liked the puzzles in the demo and your map making skills are boss. When will this be done?

Steve said...

Thanks for the compliment! I try to make the best maps I can, nothing I hate more than independent games with huge blank maps.

I'm shooting for a full release by the end of the year, and I'm estimating there will be 20+ hours of gameplay.

Leave a Reply