Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Systems and progress and soundtracks, oh my!

So, after quite a long while with no updates, quite a lot of news has been stored up, and quite a lot of writing will be done to cover all the topics. Quite? Quite!

Onto the first topic, the new soundtrack! I decided that the midi files that were packaged with the engine, while good, were not up to the level of quality I was looking for. Therefore I have gutted them and replaced them with a new soundtrack! Below is one of the themes of a bustling town. Quite an improvement, I must say... really makes me want to get back into composing, but alas! One only has so much time to spend on so many projects. Listen below!






On the theme of general progress, I completely reworked the old castle dungeon. Below is a shot of what it looks like now. You can compare it to the older, far more ugly screenshot in the post archives, and without a doubt the rehash is ten times better than the previous.


- - - - -

Now we get to the new systems part of the post! A day in the life of a thief is never easy, especially when that thief isn't using any enhancement items to increase his chances of not being caught!


I've introduced a very simple system into the game where the brave and noble thief (read: cowardly and sissy) can attempt to pickpocket individuals who find themselves sleeping in public areas. That's right, Dexan is a MAN'S MAN, picking on sleeping people.



Anyhow, a successful steal can land you some pretty nice items! However, an unsuccessful steal can land you...

... right here.

After he lands himself in the den of soap finding, you will have to post bail for your blundering buddy to get him back into your party. Simple, yet fun.

Progress is unfolding at a nice pace, overall. Another town as you can see below has been completed, and things are moving along smoothly.



Expect more news on the project as things progress, and I'll try to think of things more interesting to say than what maps have been created where. Build that turtle fence!

4 Responses to “Systems and progress and soundtracks, oh my!”

Anonymous said...

really happy to see that the project isn't dead and during the periods of no news that lots of progress was mad. i loved the demo. so with pickpocketing how can you increase your chances?

Steve said...

Glad to know you're still interested!

As far as the pickpocketing is concerned, you'll have a 25, 50, 75, or 100% chance of succeeding when you try based on whether or not your thief is wearing the accessory that increases his chance of stealing in battle.

It's a super simple system, but one that gives more life to the thief class.

Anonymous said...

This sounds fun....... will you do another demo soon?

Steve said...

It's something I've been thinking about. If nothing more it will reflect the balancing and tweaks I've done. I'll give it some more thought, but right now I think my time is better spent making progress.

Leave a Reply